Eventually, everyone needs to call an AC repair company. If you are new to the area or were not happy with the service that you received before, you need to start looking for a new company. The first thing that most people do is search online or in the local phone book. Unfortunately, a tiny ad or an online listing does not tell you everything that you need to know. To find a quality Sugar Land or Katy AC repair company, follow these steps.
1. Ask your friends, relatives and co-workers if they know of a good local Sugar Land or Katy air conditioning service. Recommendations are the best endorsement that any business can have. Your friends might also warn you about a company that you do not want to hire.
2. Find out how long the company has been in business. If you hire a contractor who has been working in your area for several decades, there is a better chance that the company is reliable, performs work correctly and treats each customer courteously.
3. Verify the contractor’s license number through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. You should never hire a contractor who is not licensed, bonded and insured. You can also check to see whether a contractor has had any previous violations.
4. Look for industry certifications and affiliations. Most established companies have partnerships with major HVAC brands, such as Ruud and Trane. Companies that are affiliated with select brands are also qualified to service equipment from other manufacturers. You can locate reputable air conditioning contractors by visiting websites for North American Technician Excellence (NATE) or Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA). NATE is a non-profit organization that offers certifications to highly trained HVAC technicians. These experts have demonstrated their knowledge in multiple areas and are re-certified every two years. Plus, studies have shown that NATE-certified technicians have 13 percent fewer callbacks.
5. Ask if the company offers 24-hour emergency service. Companies that offer 24-hour service are more likely to go out of their way to make sure that their customers are comfortable. If your air conditioner breaks down on the hottest day of summer or during the worst winter weather, you know that your contractor will fix the problem as soon as possible.
6. Make sure that you know what you are getting. Never accept an estimate before the contractor has assessed the problem. Most reputable companies offer free in-home estimates for a Katy or Sugar Land air conditioning repair or new installation. You should also request a written proposal that details the cost of parts and labor, what will be done and when the work will be completed. It is always a good idea to get estimates from several different companies, but make sure that you do not get lured in by low-ball offers. Before you commit to anything, be certain that the work is covered by some type of warranty.
7. If you need a new heat pump, furnace or air conditioner, it is imperative for the contractor to perform new load calculations using ACCA’s Manual J. Improperly sized units can fail prematurely and will not keep your home comfortable. Contractors should never select a replacement based on the size of your current unit.
8. To ensure that you hire the right contractor, select the company that offers the best service starting with your first interaction. Good service is a sign of a professional business that cares about its customers and the Houston Better Business Bureau website is a valuable tool to get this information.
For tune-ups and emergency repairs that fit your busy schedule, call All Out AC and Heating today at 281-238-9292. We are licensed and insured, and we have been serving customers in Katy, Sugar Land and the greater Houston area since 1989.